Alternatives to animal experimentation

There is no certainty that animal experimentation will occur at St. Paul’s Hospital – but it is a possibility.

stroke heart failure diabetes cystic fibrosis muscular dystrophy Parkinson's Alzheimer most cancers All these diseases - and more - have been cured in mice – but after decades of animal experimentation, there are no cures for these in humans

St. Paul’s Hospital should be a place for healing and humane science.

Humans are the perfect animal model for testing human drugs.

“Animals are living, breathing, feeling beings who, if they had the choice, would never consent to experimentation.”

Experimention on animals to help humans has been a major failure.  Using alternatives to animal experimentation not only saves animal lives – it saves human lives as well.

 

SUMMARY – THE FAILURE OF ANIMAL EXPERIMENTATION

These drugs were safe and effective in mice, but were withdrawn from the market due to lethal consequences to humans: Bextra Baycol Rezulin Hismanal Permax Raxar, Palladone, Micturin, Posicor, Vioxx

“Due to decades of animal experimentation, science actually knows more about animal biology than human biology!”

“We are so ingrained in trying to cure mice that we forget we are trying to cure humans.” – Dr. Ronald Davis, Genomics Professor, Stanford University, USA

Animal experimentation is an outdated methodology that produces invalid, often misleading results, and that delays meaningful scientific progress.


Facts

  • “Every 7 minutes a Canadian dies of a heart attack.  Every 9 minutes a Canadian dies of a stroke.  Every 3 minutes a Canadian is diagnosed with diabetes.  40% of Canadians will get cancer in their lifetimes.  Despite decades of animal testing – we still don’t have cures for these diseases.”
  • 95% of drugs tested and found to be safe and effective in animals fail in human clinical trials.  Of the remaining 5%, half are withdrawn.  The anti-inflammatory painkiller Vioxx passed animal testing in different six different species, but in the US alone 88,000 people had heart attacks and more than 38,000 of them died.
  • It takes 10-15 years and $1-2 billion to bring a single drug to market.
  • Animal testing also results in rejection of useful drugs.  The life-saving drug Aspirin which works well in humans and is safe even during pregnancy would not have been approved with testing on animals since it causes birth defects in mice and other animals.  How many other valuable drugs have been rejected due to animal testing?
  • Alternatives to animal testing are less expensive, less time-consuming, more practical  and more predictive of the human situation.  This accelerates the drug-development process.”

The information in the two images above and the information in quotations above are from the TEDX talk – “It’s Time to Think Outside the Cage” – by  Dr. Charu Chandrasekera, Executive Director of the Canadian Centre for Alternatives to Animal Methods and the Canadian Centre for the Validation of Alternative Methods, University of Windsor, Ontario, Canada:

ALTERNATIVES

THE FINANCIAL SIDE

A QUICK LOOK AT ANIMAL TESTING

THE PAST IS NO LONGER APPLICABLE

BASIC FACTS ABOUT CANADIAN ANIMAL TESTING

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF EXPERIMENTATION

SUFFERING OF LAB ANIMALS

END OF LIFE FOR LAB ANIMALS

INVOLVEMENT OF CANADIAN GOVERNMENTS

ST PAUL’S HOSPITAL